Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Linux+ : Week 3


I just finished reading through Mike Meyers' Certification Passport Linux+. I really like the Mike Meyers' books. They are easy to read and offer a decent amount of information without getting overwhelming. This is the third book of the series I have read and continues to be a great resource. The books are not for beginners or those looking to really dig deep into the selected topics. They are perfect for users with some experience who are looking to sharpen their skills to pass the given exam.


This book is written by Michael Jang who holds a number of Linux certs including his RHCE, LPIC-2 and of course Linux+. He does a good job covering the basics of RPM based linux distros with attention given to which topics are important for the exam. Since the book was published in 2008 and the last Linux+ exam update was in 2005 there are some topics of interest that will not appear on the test. The author does a good job of balancing these two areas. Because Comptia is neutral within the industry the exam covers no specific distro but the author manages to point out some of the differences between the RPM based versions of linux pertaining to the exam, Red Hat/Fedora, SUSE, Turbolinux and Mandriva.

The true test of the book will come when I take my exam as that is what this book aims to prepare you for. I am getting ready to start the Sybex study guide and some practice exams so we will get an early glimpse at how prepared I actually am. Overall I would say the book is a solid 8/10 for those looking to take the exam. If you are looking to expand your general linux skills or for an introduction to linux I would suggest looking elsewhere. Also, since Ubuntu is by far the most popular linux distribution today I should mention that Ubuntu is not covered in this book, nor is any other Debian based distro. I am no linux whiz but the book has given me a good boost and I think it would be plenty for someone with maybe a year of experience working with linux.

0 comments:

 
>