Saturday, February 16, 2008

Drop Crap

My band, Silent Film, recently returned to their old tuning of Drop C for the guitars and bass. I was the main force behind moving up to Drop D tuning so, it goes without saying, I am less than thrilled. But in reality it is almost insane for us to ask anyone to try and sing our songs a step higher than they already are.

For those who are not familiar with guitars, basses, git-fiddles or git-girdle-tars, Drop C tuning is an entire step lower than standard tuning plus the lowest string is dropped an extra step. Taking a string one step down is no big deal on bass. There is less tension on the string but this can be compensated for with proper setup. Two steps down, like E down to C, is another story. De-tuning this low makes the string almost unplayable and really effects the tone and sustain of all the notes along the string but more so on the open C.

My solution is simple, I have a 5 string bass, my first Fender Jazz, that is currently tuned in Dropped D Tenor DADGC. I use 6 string bass strings and simply leave off the highest gauge string, the low B. From now on I will use this bass tuned CGCFA# using 6 string bass strings but now leaving out the E gauge string. This will mean tuning the low B up to C and the rest of the strings down one step. My only fear with this setup is uneven tension on the neck but she is a solid bass and I am sure she can handle it. I am not sure yet if I will try to find a better setup for my 4 string bass. I will have to see how the 5 string works out but it is always nice to have a backup for shows. Hmm, sounds like a good reason to go bass shopping.

0 comments:

 
>