Saturday, February 9, 2008

Breeding Update

It has been 5 months since the beginning of the breeding season for my boas and a lot has changed. In late November I noticed my male acting odd. He could not keep his head held up for more than a few seconds and was not tongue flicking. He is still not recovered despite months of antibiotics and veterinary care. It looks like there is some damage neurologically caused by an infection or possible trauma while in with my female. He will be finishing his last round of antibiotics this week and after that only time will tell. Fortunately, it looks as though he got the job done before I separated him and the female. She has been coiled tightly on her hot spot for weeks now and is getting quite large in her lower half. She is refusing food and has not shed since ovulation. I have calculated her due date to sometime in early March and we are preparing for the possibility of baby boas. We ordered a Iris 375 rack from Animal Plastics which should be arriving in the next week or so. Now all we can do is wait. Wait and see if our male improves in health. Wait and see if our female is gravid. Wait, wait, wait... I will post more updates as anything exciting happens and hopefully I will be posting some baby pictures come March.

0 comments:

 
>