Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bass Gear Mini Review: Avatar B210 Neo


I received my B210 from Avatar Speakers about a week ago. I have yet to use it at band practice but have been testing it out on my own. In a lot of ways this cab is very similar to the B212 I already reviewed so I am going to skip the specifics and talk only about the tone from the cab. Running this cab solo gives me a nice option for practicing alone or an acoustic setting. The 2 10"s give great mid and high end response and the adjustable tweeter lets me dial in just how much I want on the top end. The bass response on this cab is good but not great. It sounds a little lacking to me but is by no means thin sounding. For the right style or setting this cab would be great for smaller gigs. But I am more excited about the pairing of the B210 and the B212. These cabs together produce the exact sound I was hoping for. I use the B212 with the tweeter off and dial in the highs on the B210 at about 9 O'clock. The B210 fills it's role perfectly, producing more punch and fuller highs than the B212. My rig sounds more well rounded and I even get more response from changes on the amp while running both cabs. Plus the volume from these cabs is intense. I am now running at my amp's full 700 watts and you can feel/hear it. I wish I still had my old 6x10 Ampeg for comparison but from memory this stack is way louder. I am very pleased with the B210. Avatar has made two great cabinets with great tone on their own. But the pairing of these two cabs is far greater than the sum of their parts. It also looks sexy as hell.

1 comments:

Steve said...

Nice review. I would get an 8x18 cab just to top off the collection. It probably wouldn't fit in the matrix though.

 
>